I'm at the airport and in a couple hours I'll be on my way to Bangkok. I'm spending two weeks exploring south Thailand with friends. I am so excited!
I figured what would be a more appropriate post for today than a post about packing. I am a carryon only traveler. Ever since buying a Tom Bihn Aeronaut bag I haven't checked one bag. Have you heard of this Seattle based bag maker?? I tell everyone about Tom Bihn. They are located in SODO and they make bags for people who want to travel with durable, simple and carry-on friendly luggage. This is a total Mary Poppins bag. As you can see I fit a massive amount if stuff into all the compartment and I even have room to spare for anything I buy during the trip:
- Seven days worth of breathable linen and cotton clothing that I will have laundered once mid trip
- pair of Chaco sandals
- wide brimmed SPF hat
- small quick drying towel
- SSS bug repellant wipes
- small makeup bag with just tinted SPF moisturizer, eye shadow and waterproof mascara
- clear liquids container from Tom Bihn with sunblock, propolis, hand sanitizer, toothpaste, face cream, Rosebud lip balm, and shampoo and conditioner bought in bulk and out into 2 oz bottles at the co-op.
- Kleenex wipes
- collapsible brush
- eye mask and earplugs for the long flight
- Dramamine for boat rides and small flights in Thailand
- chargers, cords and an Asia outlet adaptor
- 28mm Canon lens to put on my friends Canon body for street style photography at the markets
- business cards AND playing cards
- journal/sketch book and pen and pencil
- made ahead plane snacks (recipes thanks to My New Roots travel posts) and gum
- water bottle
- small drawstring backpack
- 3 Tom Bihn packing cubes. Backpack cube, small cube and large netted cube. All of my clothes are backed in the large square and small packing cube. The backpack cube is for anything I bring back and it will also fit into the bag's main compartment.
- neck pillow
- airplane outfit and Superga sneaks
I put all my clothes in the main compartment as well as the hat. All body care items and meds go in the right hand side pocket which is up by my head when the bag is on my back. My sandals and neck pillow go in the left hand pocket that is at the bottom of he bag when it is on my back. I clip my water bottle to the bag. My passport, book, magazine, itouch and food all go in the small drawstring bag that I keep with me on the plane and the Aeronaut fits perfectly in the overhead with my body care products facing out in case I need anything during the long flight.
I can't imagine going back to rolling luggage after this. I've learned to pack less and everything I bring has it's specific purpose. I keep my liquids case full of all the bottles in a drawer in my bathroom so that I just have to grab it out and refil anything running low before a trip. When you stick to a straight forward method and wear versitle clothing packing becomes so much less stressful.
Well, I'm off! I have the most recent season of Girls and Godfather I downloaded and ready to watch during the long trek. I hopefully my eye mask and earplugs will treat me right and I'll sleep during he second half of the flight.
I have several Seattle street style posts scheduled to go up while I'm away but I'll also be posting some pictures of my trip on here and on instagram.